Tuesday, August 12, 2014

SOS #164: Back in the Day

Happy Tuesday! It's time for a new challenge. This week's theme is Back in the Day, and we'd like you to use an old-school tool. For example, use a hammer and eyelet setter instead of a Crop-A-Dile, or use a template & knife system (think: Coluzzle) instead of die-cutting, or use a Fiskars Impression Plate system instead of an embossing folder.

If you are a newbie and have no idea what I'm talking about, or if you've been good and have purged all these old tools, then an acceptable alternative would be to use an old-time image. Please note: using a vintage or shabby-chic style alone will not qualify here. We're looking for images of old things, not old-looking things.

Whichever you choose to do, please let us know in your post, as it's not always obvious to us when we drop by to look at your creations.

Here's what we've made to inspire you:


Jessi
I used an old-school hammer & tool to set eyelets.
Lauren
I found the 1930's roadster and the "bobby on the beat" in two different old-falling-apart books.

Leslie
Old-fashioned pay phone image, Coluzzle to cut the black ovals, eyelets were set with hammer and eyelet setter (holes were even punched with the old eyelet hole-maker thing)..

I stamped and coloured the flowers with watercolour pencils then I took opal liquid pearls mixed with water to "glaze" the flowers and leaves (before glimmer mists). The ovals were cut with my coluzzle. Distressing was done with my scissors.

Donna
I used an "old school" chalkboard technique using black cardstock, white craft ink and SU coloured chalks.

Deena
I used an old piece of shiny teal plastic mesh ribbon that I used to make my first card before I had any supplies.

Alica
old fashioned steam engine image

Now it's YOUR turn! Go dig into the way-back part of your craft closet and pull out some old tools (or an image of something old), blow off the dust, and use them to make something. Then come back and link us up below so we can stop by and see what you've made.

Mr Linky will be open until Monday, August 18, at 11:55 pm. To be eligible for our Saturday Shout-out, please limit your total challenges to 13, including ours.



4 comments:

SD pooja said...

Interesting challenge and wonderful inspirations !! Old tools ?..I still use the same tools I had in my school days stenciled ruler,paper knife, one hole punch,So I guess all my entries will be eligible :D !!

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow!! So now it's called "old school"?! I was thinking what's old school about these items...I still use them!! LOL!!!

I will have no problem playing along with this! I have tools that I've had in the late 1990s!! :) Thanks for the fabulous inspiration too!

Diane said...

Interesting idea-- tools and techniques definitely come and go like everything else. Thanks!

Julene Matthews said...

Great inspiration ladies. I have no eyelets but have thought of something else.